Obtaining a Uganda Tourist Visa is a step into making a lawful entourage into the country. All nationalities who are Visa prone ought to obtain their Visa before they are granted entrance in the country. A Visa can either be obtained from the immigration offices at Entebbe International Airport on arrival or from Uganda Missions abroad in advance. Most Uganda tourist Visas are got on arrival at the airport BUT there is an option to this if you want to make your purchase months in advance at the comfort of your home. Briefly, a valid Ugandan Visa is rubber stamped on one of your Passport’s pages and signed by an immigration officer to prove it’s validation. This Visa also covers for the period (number of days) you plan to spend in Uganda.
How to Get a Visa to Uganda
The best and easiest way to get a Uganda Tourist Visa is upon your arrival in the country. The only drawback of this is sometimes you might have to wait for a few hours before your Visa is issued to you which might delay your trip if your departure is set on the same day of arrival. The alternate way is making use of the Uganda Visa online application form / system. This application system was introduced to simplify the hierarchy / procedures of visa application for Uganda and give travelers a chance of obtaining Visas several months in advance personally. The Uganda online visa application system will capture all the required details, documents and credentials and if successful, a bar-code that will be scanned by an immigration officer before being inserted in your passport will be emailed to you within 72 hours. The third way is obtaining a Visa with the help of Uganda Missions abroad though it’s recommended to use the online application system.
Uganda Visa requirements
Like said previously, you need to meet a number of requirements to get a Uganda entry Visa which include;
- A filled in visitors pass
- A cover letter of the applicant
- A copy of confirmed return air ticket
- Immigration status, copy of passport (6 months of remaining validity)
- Original passport for Verification
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate
The requirements might look many but some are not applicable in certain cases. To be on a safe side, you need all the requirements mentioned above in place.
Cost / Price
How much does a Uganda Visa cost? With effect from July 2015, the prices of Single Entry Visas was revised to $50, $100 for multiple entry Visas, $100 for East Africa Tourist Visas and no charge for Government Officials or Diplomatic Visas. Please note that the price for Single Entry Visa was sliced by half unlike the $100 fee that was charged previously. This implicates if you are searching for a Uganda visa for Indians, Americans or any other nationality, the Uganda visa cost will not change.
If you opt to obtain your Visa through the online application form in urgency, an expedited extra fee of $30 might be charged to fasten the entire process. This makes it possible to obtain your Visa is less that 48 hours though most of the times you finish up the whole process in within 24 hours. This fees are obtained on arrival at Entebbe International Airport or through credit card transfer and Electronic Funds Transfer.
Some citizen are exempted from paying for Uganda travel visas. These citizens include;
1. Nationalities of countries that belong to COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa). The countries include Eritrea, Malawi, Angola, Seychelles, Madagascar, Swaziland, Zambia, Kenya, Mauritius, Comoros and Zimbabwe)
2. East Africa Citizens (Burundi, Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda)
3. Citizens from Barbados, Fiji, Grenada, Lesotho, Sierra Leone, Cyprus, Bahamas, Belize, Solomon Islands, The Grenadines, Vanuatu, St. Vincent-Tonga, Gambia, Jamaica, Malta, Antigua, Singapore and more).
More exemptions do exist only that they are usually specified on arrival. This means it’s advisable to first inquire about the existence of charges for your nationality though Uganda Immigration before making your payment and getting aboard a plane to Uganda.
Tips for getting a Visa
It is very disappointing to reach the airport, be denied a Visa and knowing you wont be able to proceed with your entry to the country. Below are a few tips / precautions you should take during the interview as you finalize with getting your Visa.
1. Carry all necessary documents. The most important thing is to carry all the necessary and required documents especially the original copy of your passport. Leaving any document behind might cost you a Visa because they are key during the verification process
2. Carefully read through your Interview letter. You might be asked questions related to your interview appointment letter hence, it’s important to read through the document over and over again to have some details on your finger tips. Your answers should come straight without any contradictions else you might be doubted.
3. Be honest, compliant and confident. You have to be compliant and confident through out the entire process of the interview. These panelists usually test your confidence and consistence implicating your confidence has to be extremely high. You also have to comply with whatever you are asked or requested and in case you lack any information, fee free to tell them the truth.
4. Dress well. Dress codes usually make the first impression of you implicating you have to dress decently. Any funny dressings might cause immigration officers to ask you a big array of questions for further verification. Formal dressing can earn you trust and make your interview shorter.
5. Be precise and straight to the point. These immigration officers usually have a lot of people to interview and attend to hence, you ought to extremely precise and straight to the point to save time.
Lastly, most people think the approval of their Visa applications implicates their eligibility for the approved visa which is not the case. This approval doesn’t guarantee the definite approval of your application. And besides, all information you provide must be valid because a Visa application approval can be revoked / terminated at any time for various reasons like provision of invalid information.